Wednesday, April 7, 2010

One of my favorite Pandora radio stations

I like to listen to instrumental music while I do my schoolwork. One of my music sources is Pandora radio. I wrote a blog post a while back about Pandora.
One of the things you do on Pandora after you've made a free account is create 'stations' with your favorite musicians (if they're in the database). Pandora then adds songs with similar qualities to your station. As you 'thumb up' or 'thumb down' various songs, you can streamline your station somewhat so that it mostly only plays songs that you like, or songs that are very similar to the ones you like already.

One of my favorite stations is called 'Greg Maroney Radio'. Greg Maroney is a pianist, so it's not surprising that most of the music you hear on the Greg Maroney station is piano music. I've customized the station to my liking so much that it's become 'my' station. In other words, Pandora has saved all of the songs that I've 'thumbed up', or in the language of Facebook, 'liked'. It mostly plays songs with similar qualities to those that I've 'liked'.

Pandora allows you to 'share' your station with other Pandora users. So if you want to listen to some nice (in my opinion!) piano music, then here's the link to 'my' station. 
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh138141511343262553

Most of the piano music that you'll hear could be classified as 'new age' music. New age is a very broad term, but in this case it simply means contemporary piano music. 'New age' piano music generally has a very soothing, rolling, pretty sound. Some of the music that you'll hear is more folk style, with hymns or other tunes that you may recognize. However, most of them are original compositions by the individual artists.



The artists that I've added to the station other than Greg Maroney, are:

Anne Trenning
Bernward Koch
Brian Crain
Dana Cunningham (Holiday)
David Carnes
David Nevue
Emile Pandolfi
Fernando Ortega
Franz Liszt
George Winston
George Winston (Holiday)
Greg Maroney
Gunnar Madsen
Jennifer Haines
Jim Brickman
Jon Schmidt
Karen Marie Garrett
Kevin Kern
Lorie Line
Michele McLaughlin
Paul Cardall
Peter Kater
Philip Wesley
Tim Janis

Also, you get 40 free hours of listening time on Pandora. And there's more than just piano music on there, too! :-)

3 comments:

  1. Add Joe Bongiorno..you will love him

    ReplyDelete
  2. also the link for your station does not work...would love to hear it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous,
    You need to have a Pandora.com account in order to be able to listen to the station.
    I have since added Joe Bongiorno to my piano music station, too. Thanks for taking interest in it!

    ReplyDelete